Teaching our Teens the Meaning of Beauty

22 Jan

Image

My lovely teenage girls

When I read about another young life in turmoil – or even tragically ended – because of low self-esteem or distorted body image, I want to weep. My heart breaks for the teenagers out there who sit alone in their room, scrolling through malicious and dangerous websites and online forums that spew forth destructive words and images which somehow seep into innocent minds, convincing our young that they are fat, ugly, disgusting, unpopular, useless…

I don’t know why such vile and damaging websites aren’t immediately closed down –  I really don’t understand the rights and views of ‘internet giants’ who allow them to remain in service. But what I do know is, that each child affected by these sites or by real-life bullying, probably has a parent, guardian or friend who cares about them and loves them. That’s us! So it’s important we talk to our children and explain that these websites are wrong, shouldn’t be viewed and can twist the truth. We need to keep our kids grounded and teach them to have compassion and kindness for everybody they meet throughout life regardless of their faith, colour, gender, beliefs and looks. We need to teach our kids that we are all different and that differences should be celebrated – not ridiculed.

pretty_quote

This blog is all about inspiring wellbeing through looking after ourselves and feeling good and positive. Yes, we know that there’s a link between looks and self-esteem, but to me, this doesn’t mean only being happy with ourselves if we look like we’ve stepped off the cover of Grazia, it means making the most of what Mother Nature has bestowed upon us and loving and accepting ourselves for what we are. And I think we could do a lot worse than explain to our tweens/teenage daughters, nieces or friends that the key to inner confidence is loving ourselves – wobbly thighs, big nose and all!

If you’d like to give the teen girl in your life a head start with grooming and skincare confidence, I’d highly recommend 100 Ways For Every Girl to Look & Feel Fantastic (£9.99, Walker Books).

100_ways_book

Written in a lovely, friendly tone by beauty journalist and author, Alice Hart-Davis and her teenage daughter, Beth, there are lots of clever beauty, style and wellbeing tips and secrets designed to give your teen a beauty boost.

Let’s tell our teenagers – girls and boys – that they’re beautiful every day.

6 Responses to “Teaching our Teens the Meaning of Beauty”

1. Karen Brown January 22, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

Here, here! Any book recommendations for boys on self esteem/body image or the like?

• Glowology January 22, 2014 at 12:23 pm #

Thanks Karen! Do you know, I was thinking just that myself…I will check it out and see what’s available and let you know. Or…maybe I can write one with the help of my teenage boy?! Watch this space…x

2. Becky (English Mum) (@EnglishMum) January 24, 2014 at 11:01 am #

Ugh. I totally agree with this. I’ve got two teenage boys and the pressure is still there, although slightly different and seems to be about having a buff gym body. My youngest (15) has recently given up all sweets, snacks and junk food and is at the gym all the time, and although I want to encourage his healthy lifestyle, I don’t want it to become an obsession. Hopefully we’ve brought them up with enough love, support and kindness that they don’t take that road, but God, it’s a worry isn’t it? x

• Glowology January 24, 2014 at 11:16 am #

Hi Becky, thank you for popping by to Glowology! It certainly is a worry but I cling on to what you said – that we’ve hopefully brought them up in a way that will avoid them getting into any low self-esteem troubles. Trying to keep them level headed, kind human beings is what I strive for…and yep, it is a worry and once a parent that never stops does it? No matter how old they get! x

3. sarahmo3w February 6, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

I love this post! Thank you very much for linking it up to the Britmums teen and tween round-up, I’m going to make sure I include it properly in the next round-up so hopefully lots more can read it. My daughter is only 7, but this stuff already concerns me. And I mustn’t forget my boys either – they’re 10 and 12 – and sometimes I see they have little worries about their bodies :(

• Glowology February 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm #

Hi Sarah. Thank you for commenting and I’m so glad you liked the post and for including it in the next round-up! Yes, it’s such a concern for all of us. Hopefully, us parents can make a positive difference.