2017 is not a bad time in which to be almost 50 or, in fact 60, 70 and beyond. Not only do we have amazing role models in the public eye like Susan Sarandon and Dame Helen Mirren who give the youngsters a run for their money on the red carpet – even overshadowing them sometimes – with their sheer sass and chutzpah. But the over 40s blogging scene is exploding with fabulous women celebrating their age and giving a two finger salute to anyone who dares tell them they ‘shouldn’t be doing this’…or ‘wearing that’ at ‘your age’….O.M.G. The very thought…excuse me while I take a moment!
Yes, so here we are, us oldies, finally in 2017, being all visible and respected and that – starting blogs, new businesses and taking up all sorts of body and mind challenging hobbies and activities. Yeeha to that!
Yep, I’m actually okay with ageing and celebrating it with a cherry on top but that doesn’t mean to say that I don’t want to look the best for may age that I can. Looking younger isn’t the aim; looking good – vibrant and healthy – for my age IS! So, when NEWA got in touch and asked if I’d like to trial their new beauty tool for ‘reducing the signs of ageing’ I
bit their hand off was a little excited
What is NEWA?
NEWA claims to be the ‘most advanced home use skin-tightening tool available’ and when you realise that the science behind it has been developed by the leading skin technology company EndyMed Medical and has some great professional and medical endorsements, things begin to get really exciting.
It uses 3DEEP Skin Science which delivers radio frequency (RF) energy deep into the skin at an optimum level to:
- Stimulate the natural production of collagen
- Reinvigorate existing collagen
- Increase blood flow
- Promote healthy skin cell activity and renewal
It doesn’t claim to have the power of an in-clinic RF machine, which mostly require administration of treatment by a doctor or highly trained aesthetician, but the NEWA is the only home-use radiofrequency device cleared by the USA FDA for skin tightening, which is impressive.
How is it used?
Over a month (that’s how long I’ve been trying it), its suggested use is 3-5 times a week. I varied between 3-4 times and on the last week, I upped the anti to 5 times. The below video explains how it should be used most effectively.
I enjoyed my nightly ritual of spending half an hour in front of the TV, feeling the warmth of the NEWA soothe and relax my face. In fact, we often forget just how much tension we hold here and this really made me aware that I need to chill out a bit and stop clenching my jaw!
Step by Step of My Nightly Newa At Home Treatment
- I cleansed my face as normal but didn’t add any other creams.
- You can select to treat the whole face or just the areas that you’re concerned with. I concentrated on:
- Crow’s feet: Upper cheek area
- Saggy jowls: Jawline area
- Laxity, turkey neck: Under the chin area
For maximum results, NEWA recommends 8 minutes on each area – four minutes on each side of the face.
- After plugging in the device and removing the protective cap, I applied two lines of NEWA activator gel to the tip and then spread the gel over the area of skin to be treated. The gel allows the device to glide smoothly over the contours of the face without any friction.
- I switched on the device to treatment level two and pressed the power button which blinks blue when it’s ready to go!
- Placing the NEWA tip on my skin, I moved the device in a constant circular motion across the treatment area, ensuring the whole are was covered and treated evenly. It soon started to heat up – but never enough to feel uncomfortable and the light on the button would change to green to indicate that skin had reached the optimum temperature. I liked to visualise the heat doing its job in plumping the skin from beneath!
- At the end of the treatment cycle on one area, the NEWA would gently vibrate and the process was started again on the next treatment area.
Apart from becoming a lovely ritual, allowing me to pamper myself and switch off at the end of the night, I definitely felt the NEWA month trial resulted in a slight skin tightening and plumping which, although only visible to me at the moment, looks really promising for delivering even better results over the coming months. According to NEWA, 90% of subjects showed improvement in wrinkle appearance after one month of treatment and continued to showed further improvement after three months.
Immediately after each session, my face had a soft glow from the heat and it certainly felt as if it was perking up the circulation. The only downside for me, was having to plug in the device and stay put. It would’ve been much handier if you could move around, cable-free.
If you’re one for regular facial treatments, then I feel that the NEWA device is a great way to keep up skin firming results in between clinic or salon visits. And if, like me, you’re more of a ‘let’s try this at home’ kind of gal, then it’s a valuable power-boost to your regular skincare regime – especially when you’re knocking on 40, 50 and beyond!
*This post was sponsored by NEWA but all opinions within are my own.